[CAUT] Vertigris on Action Rail

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Mon Aug 2 11:30:06 MDT 2010

Ed Sutton wrote:
> I was unsure about the possibility of lanolin, not sure how much the
> cloth has been cleaned. Historically, mild acids were also used to
> produce verdigris pigments. Apparently copper can react with just about
> anything.

There are apparently three copper compounds that are called
verdigris; copper carbonate (oxidation in air), copper
chloride (salt added), and copper acetate (acetic acid
reaction). I suspect we have copper chloride here in piano
actions rather than copper acetate because natural animal
derived lubricants most likely used at the time seem to me to
be more likely to contain sodium chloride (salt) than acetic
acid. I wouldn't expect bass strings to react the same unless
they were contaminated with a similar lubricant as the
flanges. What we see on bass strings is more likely copper
carbonate.

I realize this won't even slow down the eternal speculation,
but it's the only explanation I've ever had that makes any
sense to me. Mileage will inevitably, vary.

Ron N