[CAUT] lanolin in hammers/VS pro-felt?

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Thu Aug 5 14:01:03 MDT 2010

This is why I love the Abel Naturals from Wally!  They refrain from
washing them so much that the lanolin disappears.  It really makes for a
wonderful hammer with lots of give, yet the power we need.  The lanolin is
why they're not bright white.  do we really need bright white hammers? for
old hammers, yeah, I tried the Downey thing, but it tends to do more than
what I want.  I have also tried the acetone on existing hammers, and found
some good results.  When I use the Downey, I dilute it quite a bit with
alcohol and/or lacquer thinnner and have had fairly decent to good
results.  On the other hand, sometimes, nasty old asian hammers just don't
respond well.  They're just too hard.

Anyone tried the VS-Pro-felt in the grooves?  I'm considering this on some
uprights that nobody really cares about in the practice rooms...Isn't that
why we call them "practice rooms"?? lol  For fun, I tried some VS on some
smashed in knuckles on this M I'm starting, but it really didn't do
anything.  I'm wondering what this stuff can REALLY do. I've tried it on
whip cushions, key bushings, but have not really been happy with the
results. You?

Paul