[CAUT] lanolin in hammers/VS pro-felt?

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Thu Aug 5 14:19:10 MDT 2010

On Aug 5, 2010, at 2:01 PM, Paul T Williams wrote:

> Anyone tried the VS-Pro-felt in the grooves?  I'm considering this
> on some uprights that nobody really cares about in the practice
> rooms...Isn't that why we call them "practice rooms"?? lol  For fun,
> I tried some VS on some smashed in knuckles on this M I'm starting,
> but it really didn't do anything.  I'm wondering what this stuff can
> REALLY do. I've tried it on whip cushions, key bushings, but have
> not really been happy with the results. You?

	Keep in mind that VSProfelt is mostly water. I'd guess 75% or more
water. I would not put water on leather or hammers, so I wouldn't put
VSP on either. Some other felts, like wipp cushions or lack regulating
buttons, fine.
	For key bushings, it works well, but steam and heated cauls is much
faster. I haven't found a particularly good use for it, myself.
	I have found that Downey and 70% isopropyl alcohol (IOW 30% water) in
the grooves of old practice uprights has a positive and fairly long
lived effect. A few drops on the surface. Certainly better than doing
nothing. About the same as steaming, maybe longer lasting.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
fssturm at unm.edu
"I am only interested in music that is better than it can be played."
Schnabel