[CAUT] U. of Northern Iowa position

tannertuner tannertuner at bellsouth.net
Wed Aug 11 17:08:47 MDT 2010

I think to clarify what I am trying to say is (and I've said it before), the musical skills one needs to be a very good piano technician do not require a very expensive college degree in music, and a music degree will confer very little of the knowledge and skill needed to be an excellent college piano technician.

If a piano technician feels he/she needs a college degree, the degree which will benefit him/her most will be a degree in business administration. Far more of what we do is taught there than in the music school. There is no college degree for the manual labor skills required of our work. That's got to come from your mother and father's chromosomes. And, I'm not so convinced that those same chromosomes can't also contain the musical aptitude required as well.
Jeff