[CAUT] Steinway Pedal Lyre Regulation After Reconditioning

Norman Cantrell normancantrell at sbcglobal.net
Sun Aug 15 16:45:37 MDT 2010

Paul

You are referring to the Steinway rest cushions which have also been referred to
as the "ravioli" in earlier posts.  These are simple to manufacture on your own
and in doing so you can control the overall thickness.  The cushions consist of
a sandwich of two layers of leather with a felt center.  To make them use a
forstner bit to drill a hole 7/8 diameter in the center of a block of wood that
measures roughly 2' by 2".  Drill to a depth of no more than 3/8".    Take two
oversized squares of leather (1 1/2" by 1 1/2" or so) and lay the first square
of leather over the center of the hole.  Next take a front rail punching of your
choice of thickness and lay it in the dimple of the hole in the block of wood.
Coat the visilble leather with glue and place the second square over the first
aligning as you go.  Take a second block of wood 2" by 2" and place it over the
first block to form a clamping caul.  Install a clamp of choice until the glue
is dried.  Once it is dry remove it from the blocks and trim to size.  Usually I
use two types of leather.  A thicker suede is used for the bottom (non domed)
portion of the ravioli and a thinner cabretta or pig skin is used for the top
layer as it more easily shapes around the felt punching.  By gluing only leather
to leather you can avoid hard spots that are potential noise makers.  These
ravioli are a great design because of the long lasting qualities of the leather
contact area.

Norman Cantrell, RPT