[CAUT] Restringing only capo sections

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Mon Aug 23 11:48:43 MDT 2010

  On 8/23/2010 10:35 AM, Paul T Williams wrote:
> Is it advisable to lower tension on the whole piano before removing
> the old strings from the top two sections?  I'm thinking yes so as to
> not adversely stress the plate. It's had many replaced strings in that
> area and lots of false beats. The lower sections are fine and
> clear....so, why mess with it?
Why take all the strings off at once? If you just do sections of five or
six notes, then remove the wire from the next five or six, the plate
won't get stressed. And I find it better to change tasks every once in
awhile, instead of having to do the whole of each task at once. Less
boring and tiring, swapping back and forth.

I wouldn't release any tension on the other sections.

And I think that restringing the parts which go bad instead of the whole
piano is appropriate, given work loads and budgets these days.

Susan Kline