[CAUT] Restringing only capo sections

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Mon Aug 23 11:35:53 MDT 2010

Hi All,

This may be a silly question, but since I've never done it, I should ask.

I'm considering restringing just the capo sections on a Steinway M now in
the shop. ...(the one getting the new WNG shanks).

Is it advisable to lower tension on the whole piano before removing the
old strings from the top two sections?  I'm thinking yes so as to not
adversely stress the plate. It's had many replaced strings in that area
and lots of false beats. The lower sections are fine and clear....so, why
mess with it?

Thanks
Paul