[CAUT] Installing New Let-Off Buttons

Paul Milesi, RPT paul at pmpiano.com
Mon Aug 23 14:21:10 MDT 2010

I just installed a set of new let-off buttons on the 1970 Steinway D I'm
working on at the school, using original screws.  How the heck do you get
the buttons to thread straight, so that the buttons don't "wobble" when you
turn the screw?  Although not all the screws were perfectly straight, I
don't feel that was the main issue.  I backed out the screws and held the
button against the rail while turning screws, but still had a tough time
getting them level.  I feel like I did a terrible job on this, but had to
get them on and get the piano to "play" for a piano faculty demo of sorts.

Unhappy with my own work on this one.  How can I do better next time?
What's the secret?
--
Paul Milesi, RPT
Staff Piano Technician