[CAUT] Installing New Let-Off Buttons

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Mon Aug 23 15:58:40 MDT 2010

On Aug 23, 2010, at 2:21 PM, Paul Milesi, RPT wrote:

> Unhappy with my own work on this one.  How can I do better next time?
> What's the secret?

The best technique I have found - I think a tip from Jon Page - is the
illustrated tool below. It is a pliers hammer extractor that I hate
for its original purpose, but reverse the screw and you have something
that will hold the button against the rail pretty squarely and quite
firmly, and has a slot to go around the screw at the other end. I have
never been satisfied with my own button installs, but this has been
the best way I have found so far. I fooled with a lot of other things,
including those pliers made for dowel capstans (next best). Heck, I've
got the camera, and the tool is right here, so here's another picture.
	What you want is to hold the darned button precisely at a right
angle, and doing it by hand may just be impossible. But maybo someone
else will chime in with a better plan.