[CAUT] WNG shanks - fair and balanced this time

McCoy, Alan amccoy at ewu.edu
Tue Aug 24 11:59:29 MDT 2010

In the interest of fairness and accuracy I need to report back on an experiment regarding a statement I made yesterday about WNG shanks being only "one-use" shanks. I was wrong. I know many of you will be shocked to hear that news, but it's true. I glued a hammer onto a WNG shank yesterday with Titebond Trim and Molding glue. This morning I checked it out and the hammer was tight as usual with a good collar. I took out my handy dandy heat gun and heated the joint and within 45 seconds or so off came the hammer and the remaining glue was soft enough for me to rub off with my fingers.

So there you are. Granted this takes a bit longer to remove a set of hammers than just cutting them off or otherwise removing them by pressing them out, but it is doable for those times when you might want to reuse the shanks. Having said that though, the shanks are definitely different critters and I would not advise either cutting off old hammers (with anvil pruners) or pressing them off. Too risky I think. In addition after you have glued a new set of hammers onto the shanks, don't get out your side cutters and attempt to cut of the excess shank sticking out there. Not a good option, tempting as it may be given their small diameter.

Alan

-- Alan McCoy, RPT
Eastern Washington University
amccoy at ewu.edu