[CAUT] Hailun & Suzuki vs. Yamaha

Israel Stein custos3 at comcast.net
Fri Aug 27 09:29:42 MDT 2010

Fri, 27 Aug 2010 09:37:51 -0400 From: Aaron Bousel <abousel at comcast.net>
wrote:
> Our department (UMass Amherst) is in the process of taking bids on
> some new verticals. They've received bids for Yamaha, Hailun, Suzuki
> and Sauter. I just received the following in an email from the
> department chair:
>
> ================
> "What I need is any specific reasons why Hailin or Suzuki are not at
> the Yamaha level.  Everyone so far agrees we need to go w/ the
> Yamahas, but I need specific reasons why the Suzuki or Hailin's don't
> work---poor tone, action is known for too request repairs, or??? "
> ================

Aaron,

I am not familiar with the Hailuns, but I have done several Suzuki
warranty tunings, and I can say without hesitation that their quality is
shoddy. Very poor tone, "clunky" action and obviously shoddy workmanship
- don't remember many specifics, though, other than regulation issues
you'll have to deal with if they are purchased... These things are sold
at retail through Costco, so "dealer prep" is not a concept... I suppose
the pianos they'll ship to you will be in similar condition.

 I don't know that the Hailuns or the Suzukis have been on the US market
long enough to have much of a track record in the US climate conditions.
You can cite that fact in your evaluation and note that so far every
Asian manufacturer that attempted importing pianos into the US took
about 10 years to get their wood seasoning and glue formulation right to
withstand North American climate conditions - and Amherst boasts
probably some of the more extreme seasonal swings in heat and humidity
on the continent. While the Yamaha P-22 has a known record for longevity
(I have 38 of them here at SFSU - after 15 years in practice rooms, no
problems other than key bushing and hammer wear), the long-term
prospects for the Hailuns and Suzukis are at this point unknown and
based on the prior record of Asian imports might be suspect...

Israel Stein