[CAUT] Binder Clips

Don Mannino dmannino at kawaius.com
Wed Dec 1 11:27:48 MST 2010

Gerry,

I foresee a branched discussion on this topic, so just in case I changed the subject.

Yes, binder clips change the tone, but I don't think it is related to how it might mimic friction.  They add mass, increasing the touch weight and also affecting the hammer contact time.  The part of the shank where you clip them  also flexes, contributing to the knock noise we hear when a note is played, so it can't help but affect the tone quality to have a metal clip fastened there.

Lots of things change the tone!  But shank flanges that are too loose will still sound bad (or maybe even worse) if binder clips are in place.

Don Mannino