[CAUT] Binder Clips

Horace Greeley hgreeley at sonic.net
Wed Dec 1 12:02:36 MST 2010

Hi,

At 10:27 AM 12/1/2010, Don wrote:
>Gerry,
>
>I foresee a branched discussion on this topic, so just in case I
>changed the subject.
>
>Yes, binder clips change the tone, but I don't think it is related
>to how it might mimic friction.  They add mass, increasing the touch
>weight and also affecting the hammer contact time.  The part of the
>shank where you clip them  also flexes, contributing to the knock
>noise we hear when a note is played, so it can't help but affect the
>tone quality to have a metal clip fastened there.
>
>Lots of things change the tone!  But shank flanges that are too
>loose will still sound bad (or maybe even worse) if binder clips are in place.

When clips are in use, this latter is especially apparent in either
studio or live situations in which the piano is too closely mic'd
and/or the result is not EQ'd very well.  The result is a distortion
of sound distinct from that normally heard as a capo buzz...more
closely akin to a hammer that is not fit to the strings very well
and/or strings that aren't level.

Best.

Horace