[CAUT] Bass string & Aliquot bar contact noise

Ron Overs sec at overspianos.com.au
Wed Nov 3 13:55:04 MDT 2010

Another possibility, if the Grotrian was made
around the seventies, is that the bridge was
designed with insufficient spacing between the
unisons. This problem results in insufficient
wood around the pins to properly support the side
bearing forces. With an example I have
experienced, several unison strings are so close
to the pin of its neighbouring unison that noise
(metallic in character) is generated at the
bridge during heavier playing. The source of this
noise can be confirmed by holding a blade
screwdriver between the suspect bridge pins.

In 1988 one of my clients purchased a new bridge
cap from the factory for his Grotrian 223 grand
when he visited Germany. In hindsight, I wish we
had ditched the replacement cap and laid out a
new design. But its easy to be wise after the
event. When my clients son inherits the piano
there are plans to recap the bridge again, but
the board is starting to exhibit symptoms of
failure, so it could end up being a total board
redesign.

Ron O.

--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY