[CAUT] Toughest piece for piano stability?

Paul Milesi, RPT paul at pmpiano.com
Mon Nov 8 08:16:50 MST 2010

I agree with those who point to the pianist and the piano as most important
variables, not repertoire.

I tune for more jazz artists than classical, in both clubs and concerts.
Only a few are excessively heavy-handed, but those few are very challenging.
Among the few, Eric Lewis (ELEW) causes me the most frustration and
³disappointment,² in terms of both stability and damage (broken strings and
hammer wear).  There have been posts including video clips on this list
previously.  I have tuned for Eric in the DC area for about 2 years now,
including every other month in a club (rebuilt Yamaha C7), in NPR Studio 4A
(2-year-old Yamaha C7), and at the home of Vernon Jordan (older Steinway).
He¹s playing a rock-jazz bag now, dispenses with the piano bench, and comes
down with straight elbows...much to the detriment of tone and tuning.  My
frustration is that I know Eric and have heard him play and touch the piano
absolutely beautifully!  He¹s an amazing pianist, but currently isn¹t
playing a lot of piano, if you know what I mean.  He¹s found a
commercially-viable performance style that is taking him around the world.
To each his own; I guess that¹s what¹s special about art.  :)

Following the thread¹s notion that the piano has something to do with it:
there¹s no doubt in my mind.  The club C7 is not terribly stable, being gray
market and having been rebuilt as a hybrid with a Delignit pinblock and Abel
hammers less than 2 years ago.  I had, perhaps, slightly better luck at NPR,
but maybe because Eric played solo, and only for a couple of hours rather
than four.

The pianists approach and attack, their ³touch,² have everything to do with
it.
--
Paul Milesi, RPT
Staff Piano Technician