[CAUT] restringing problems

rwest1 at unl.edu rwest1 at unl.edu
Mon Nov 8 11:56:54 MST 2010

Several weeks ago I was hired to restring a Knabe grand (around 5' 6"
or so) that was around 100 years old.  Everything went fine, but
there's one area that will not stabilize--F#6 to b flat 6, all size
14 wire.  I've tuned the piano several times, but I keep having to go
back to the aforementioned area to clean up the unisons that have
gone flat, some by a considerable amount.

The pins are tight.  The coils are tight.  The beckets are good.  I
believe the bridge pins are solid (I used fresh Dryburgh superglue).
Plate bolts are solid.  I tuned the piano again today and it seemed
that things might hold this time, but I'm looking for suggestions in
case those notes go crazy again.  The notes above and below are
stabilizing about as I would expect with a restringing.  I'll be
going back in 2 weeks to check.  If the problem involved only one
note/string, I'd just replace the string and see if that was the
cure.  But there are several strings on several notes.

I've restrung many pianos over the years and never had a problem like
this.  What's going on?

Richard West