[CAUT] Toughest piece for piano stability?

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Mon Nov 8 13:44:19 MST 2010

On 11/8/2010 12:28 PM, Paul T Williams wrote:
> As far as hardest player/ergo poor piano technique would be for me
> George Winston last year.  I thought he was to give it his new age
> tinkly music, but during his first FFF boogie woogie piece, I ran to
> the shop to get my set of bass strings!  I was sure something was
> going to fly out of there!  Fortunately, nothing did.  He had 10
> rubber mutes placed where he wanted unisons brought in!  I was shocked
> and amazed that after intermission, he publicly thanked me by name to
> the audience, gave me 2 signed CD's and was happy as clam (and of
> course, clams are happy!).  I felt both shot down, and then put on a
> pedistal in the same evening.
<grin> He's gotten smart. You obviously were better than many tuners
he's tangled with.

He used those mutes for my tuning, too, in the treble, though he didn't
seem at all put out. Looking carefully at what he had marked with the
mutes, it seemed to me that he was focusing more on voicing than on the
stability of the unisons.

Susan Kline