[CAUT] Toughest piece for piano stability?

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Mon Nov 8 13:28:11 MST 2010

Nice info, Fred, et al;

I find on our 2 D's is that the C-5 C#5 just before the treble break are
my nemisesseses.  I'm not sure why, but they go out first, always and
consistantly no matter what the weather (they always stick together! )And
it doesn't matter who plays them.  The C#5 has a nasty false beat that is
still beating me up no matter what I do to clear it up.  I'm considering
restringing them and repinning the bridge pins there and maybe even
replacing the agraffe(s).  It's not horrible, and nobody complains about
it...so it just a tuning gripe of mine....always a distant "cat meowing"
in the distance.

As far as hardest player/ergo poor piano technique would be for me George
Winston last year.  I thought he was to give it his new age tinkly music,
but during his first FFF boogie woogie piece, I ran to the shop to get my
set of bass strings!  I was sure something was going to fly out of there!
Fortunately, nothing did.  He had 10 rubber mutes placed where he wanted
unisons brought in!  I was shocked and amazed that after intermission, he
publicly thanked me by name to the audience, gave me 2 signed CD's and was
happy as clam (and of course, clams are happy!).  I felt both shot down,
and then put on a pedistal in the same evening.

Ya Never Know!

Paul