[CAUT] Toughest piece for piano stability?

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Mon Nov 8 15:46:02 MST 2010

On 11/8/2010 4:08 PM, Fred Sturm wrote:

> On Nov 8, 2010, at 1:40 PM, Susan Kline wrote:
>
>> D#6? Not D#5?
>

> Oops! you're right, what I meant was C5, C#5, D5 area.

That's what I thought. Right across the break. Attached is a chart of
speaking lengths of the original, six on either side of the break, and a
revised version. They don't progress in the original because there is
still insufficient dogleg in the bridge across the break to allow a
smooth progression to fit. As length progression changes, so does break%
progression, and with that, tuning stability. That F-5 in the Yamaha
verticals does the same thing for the same reason. That high in the
scale, the strike ratio changes abruptly by a millimeter or so across
that break too, which will change the timbre a bit as well.

Ron N