[CAUT] Toughest piece for piano stability?

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Mon Nov 8 15:56:41 MST 2010

Yeah, Ron, that is a problem at the first capo break, C#5 and D5,
definitely they tend to have some beats and are harder to settle. And
your curve is miles better.

But D#6 is the note which is wonky, on several D's I look after.
Definitely a trouble note, and way up in the middle of the section. The
tone is just not clear, never mind the tuning stability. It's more like
the tone in the middle of Octave 7, but it's way down in Octave 6 where
people are using it all the time. I'd be really interested if anyone has
figured D#6 out, why it is that way, and what might be done. As far as
I'm aware, it's a Steinway D problem. I haven't noticed it on other
Steinway models or other brands. (Though other brands sometimes have
their own issues.)

Susan Kline