[CAUT] Space usage survey

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Tue Nov 9 13:49:17 MST 2010

Hi David,

I always ask for 8-10 or 9-11am.  There is very little chance of my
getting in there any time after that.  If there is a special guest or a
specific piano recital, I'll also ask for one hour before the doors open
to just make sure all is well.  That's usually a 10 minute "tidy" tuning,
though, but ask an hour in case there's a problem.  It's not like the
piano is used all day, and usually isn't. It's just my best time of the
day for peace and quiet. This is for our main hall as well as our smaller
classroom/recital hall that seats 275. In there, classes are held pretty
much all day, but for History of Jazz and History of Rock classes that
don't use the piano at all. There are usually 5-10 recitals in there per
week, so the piano is very stable..so to speak ;>)

Classrooms are another story!  I can hardly get in there at all! I was
just surprised this morning of a guest flutist and oboeist playing right
now as we speak!  I hope they don't use the piano...upon checking it for
10 minutes before the first class this morning, it's at A-435 and nasty
unisons up and down!! (Richard, this is room 109 for our PTG meeting this
Sunday!!)   Oh, I'm sure I'll get the complaints later. From humid to
really dry more quickly than usual this time of year is hell on tunings!
It's only me with 110 instruments, so they just have to get over it...or
should have told me a week ago! I get these nasty surprises about every
other week! Nothing I can do about it but smile and tell them over and
over to let me know.  It does no good. Diva's all I say!!

Paul