[CAUT] Space usage survey

Dempsey Jr., Paul E dempsey at marshall.edu
Wed Nov 10 07:25:02 MST 2010

I have two hours reserved each Monday (9-11) to tune the Steinway D and the Yamaha CFIII, and another 1 1/2 hours on Fridays at 3:00 to tune for week-end events.

Other times during the week if a recital/performance is scheduled I will try to get into the hall to touch-up whichever piano is being used. This is seldom enough time.

Our hall is booked heavily. Students and faculty rehearse in the hall all the time, piano faculty will even give lessons in there. This is a condition I have fought for years and years.
The argument I get is "they need to get used to how they sound in the hall".

My response is.... "Nuts, if they are more than a second semester freshman and don't know what the hall sounds like by now, then perhaps they should consider another calling" Then they all call me an old curmudgeon. Or worse.

A performance level instrument that is constantly used as a practice instrument will very soon sound like a practice instrument.

Sorry, just an infrequent mid-week rant.

Paul E. Dempsey, RPT
Piano Technician Sr.
Marshall University
Huntington, WV