[CAUT] pinned agraffe

McCoy, Alan amccoy at ewu.edu
Tue Nov 16 12:17:23 MST 2010

Thank for your post Don - putting this issue into its larger, proper perspective. But one quibble.

>The tonal change is not dissimilar to doing Wapin bridge pinning, at least to my ear - brighter and thinner tone with a little more sustain.

This has not been my experience of Wapin at all. This past summer I installed a Wapin bridge on a Kawai GE-1 that had many bridge termination problems, as well as a weak and noisy treble with little or no sustain. After the Wapin treatment it now has a much fuller tone espcially in the troublesome capo regions of the piano. There have been some Wapin installations where I didn't notice much difference, but this one was clearly a benefit, and more in the treble than the bass.

Now, of course, I cannot answer the question, would this same benefit have occurred were I to have simply repinned the bridges and solidified the pins with epoxy. It's never easy, for us in the field, to draw conclusions based on one-off applications. Maybe better to not reach for a conclusion, just keep eyes and brain open to possibilities.

Alan