[CAUT] Baldwin D bridge

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Nov 16 12:49:16 MST 2010

On 11/16/2010 1:35 PM, McCoy, Alan wrote:
> Has anyone seen this before? These pics (not great quality, but what can
> you expect from a phone, ;-)) are of a Baldwin D #141772. The top bridge
> section is notched normally, with the notch parallel to the capo. The
> mid treble bridge section is notched such that the bridge pins are in
> line with the bridge and at an angle to the capo. Then the notching
> returns to normal in the tenor section. What were they trying to achieve?

Hi Alan,
Yes, or something similar, and in pianos besides Baldwin. The idea was,
I think, to add some "sparkle" to a typically not terribly responsive
area of the soundboard by putting three different speaking lengths in
the unisons so they can't be tuned dead clean. I guess the tuned
duplexes weren't enough to save them.

Ron N