[CAUT] Baldwin D bridge

Horace Greeley hgreeley at sonic.net
Tue Nov 16 16:49:29 MST 2010

Hi, Alan,

At 02:44 PM 11/16/2010, you wrote:
>The action is so thoroughly trashed that assessing the sound is
>...hmmm...difficult. I'd say it is mostly unremarkable and
>uninspiring. But like assessing any old piano, where do you assign blame!?
>I kinda figured it was a feature implemented to deal with a weak
>area of the board. I have to admit though that tuning this was not
>as difficult (except for string lag throughout, but that's a
>different issue, and one among many :-(  ) as I had expected after
>seeing the bridge.

Actually, I've always rather liked this design.  Admittedly, it
requires a different approach to tuning unisons, but it's an
interesting approach to a complex problem and I think that, within
limits, it works.  While I'm pretty sure that the basic pattern was
originally patented, I can't put my finger on it...pretty sure it
wasn't Steinway, though.

Best.

Horace