[CAUT] Baldwin D bridge

Greg Granoff Gregory.Granoff at humboldt.edu
Tue Nov 16 13:04:28 MST 2010

Alan,

Steinway did this for a while in the '20s to the treble sections of concert
grands (at least the only examples I've ever seen were concert grands).
Best I've been able to learn is that the hope was for a more penetrating, or
perhaps projective tone, though the only thing I ever experienced is a
feeling of being extremely annoyed while tuning one of them.  Maybe the
theory is that if you can prevent the poor tooner from making "dead"
unisons, the piano will sound more lively(?)

Greg Granoff

Humboldt State Univ.

  _____