[CAUT] Baldwin D bridge

Edward Sambell esambell at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 17 18:35:15 MST 2010

Yes , Heintzman did this on several models, including their concert grands. I
was told that the theory was that the out of tune partials kept the energy going
to make the notes sustain longer. Fortunately, partial tones grow weaker on the
ascending notes, for if they were more audible tuning them would be even more
miserable than are. I am certainly no acoustician, but common sense tells me
that if sustain was increased by this means, then this would also apply to out
of tune unisons.. If anything , the opposite may be true. If the condensations
and rarefactions in two frequencies are nor the same, there must be a tendancy
to be out of phase. At its extreme, the frequency might even be cancelled. For
instance, the carrier frequency in an FM radio signal is 19KHertz, which would
be audible to young ears, so FM radios generate the same frequency in opposite
phase, resulting  in canceling both. Try holding a vibrating tuning fork
vertically close to an ear and rotating it on its axis slowly. There are four
almost dead spots, caused again by being out of phase. and we are all aware of
the weak sound if hammers are not properly fitted to the strings, also partly
caused by the unison strings not moving simultaneously. Overall I  generally
found that the bridge design seemed to make little difference.Theoretically it
should, as the differing string lengths violate the principle  that all three
strings have the same ratio of the stiking point to the string length. More
serious is how most pianomakers ignore this priciple in the bass bichords. and
poorly design the bass bridge. A well desgned bass bridge would have identical
strings on a bichord, including pairing the hitchpins so that the backstring
lengths and downbearing are similar. To do so would not increase cost, and one
can only attribute the failure to do so to indifference or ignorance. I applaud
makers like Bluthner, Ron Overs and I believe, Kawai who do this correctly. Dave
Roberts in The Calculating Technician states that the strings of the bichord can
differ in length by 3/8" without affecting tone, which is true, but the higher
partials in the bass are very audible and will beat very rapidly. Thus, the
tuning  is affected, and so many pianos do not have clean sounding bass unisons.
I think this arises from designers who are not tuners, so are not aware.

Ted Sambell