[CAUT] Baldwin D bridge

mick johnson mickjohnsonrpt at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 21:08:41 MST 2010

Alan - I service one of those with the added weirdness of not having
traditional capstans. The backs of the keys and whippen bottoms are mortised
and pinned together with wooden abstract. It has a double-ended capstan in
the middle operating like a turnbuckle. The bottom of the abstract is forked
and snaps onto the center pin on the back of the key, so anytime you remove
the stack they all have to be pulled off and snapped back on. It was built
in 1943. I haven't figured out if the design had something to do with the
war effort or recreational drug use. Has anybody else seen this?

Mick Johnson, R.P.T.
University of Nebraska, Kearney
Kearney, NE
308-237-9264