[CAUT] Baldwin D bridge

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Tue Nov 16 22:01:36 MST 2010

On Nov 16, 2010, at 9:08 PM, mick johnson wrote:

>  I haven't figured out if the design had something to do with the
> war effort or recreational drug use.

I vote for the latter. Amazing how much ingenuity has been used to
make pianos harder to service without any perceptible purpose.
	Undoubtedly the big worry was wear of wippen cushions <g>, or maybe
the friction between the capstan and the cushion. It is similar in
some ways to some German designs, where there was a sticker snapped
onto the key, pinned to the wipp - usually with a rocker capstan
arrangement of some sort. I guess the turnbuckle capstan is easier to
regulate than the rocker.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico