[CAUT] Baldwin D bridge

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Wed Nov 17 07:40:10 MST 2010

And fairly common in 19th century instruments. The shortcoming is extra labor to build and service.
I service one, and pianists say they "feel the connection, like a tracker organ." This might imply what Fred says, a reduction in compression at the start of the keystroke. But there are many differences to account for between an 1890 Bechstein and a new piano.
There is a wide divergence of opinion about the significance of friction between capstan and wippen cushion in the performance of piano actions. Some well-know techs say it doesn't matter.
Ed Sutton

  A way to keep pesky technicians of the future from moving capstans and changing the geometry.
  Though, seriously, a linked system, in addition to removing friction and making regulation more stable (no compression of wipp cushion felt), might also have an advantage in performance in that there would never be a gap created between key and wipp. Though I doubt that would ever happen anyway, it might be something that occurred to an inventor with more time than sense. I guess removing the compression of wipp cushion felt would make the action more "precise" in taking a flexibility parameter away.

  Regards,
  Fred Sturm
  fssturm at unm.edu
  "I am only interested in music that is better than it can be played." Schnabel