[CAUT] Baldwin D bridge

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Wed Nov 17 12:47:56 MST 2010

On Nov 17, 2010, at 9:59 AM, Alan Eder wrote:

> IF such a gap is ever created in a conventional action design
> (however momentarily), do you think it is more likely if the wippen
> is lighter or heavier?

	I would speculate that wipp mass would be less of a factor than rep
spring strength, material and condition of drop leather and wipp
cushion, key mass, and key bushings. But who knows?
	One thing to keep in mind when complaining about these designs where
the wippen is linked to the key: the piano makers who used them were
not doing it for ease of manufacture, to save money, nor to win
friends in the technician community. They certainly believed there
were advantages, and so many high end makers did it that I am inclined
to believe they were right. It's a question, like in many areas of the
piano, of how much return you get for the investment. Hard to say.
Personally, I have never played such an instrument that was in good
shape and fine regulation, so I can't offer an opinion based on
experience.
	I speculate it might be analogous to the interaction of finger and
keytop, as seen in high speed videography. We see the finger approach
the key, come in contact, and then the finger stops its motion
momentarily, maybe even rebounds upward a wee bit, before the key and
finger descend together. There may not be a physical gap between flesh
and keytop, but there may be a springiness of the flesh of the finger,
where it is compressed, expands again, then compressed again. This
kind of thing is felt, even if subconsciously. Something similar could
happen in the interactions between the wippen and the key, in the
various rebounds each experiences during play of different sorts. So
sometimes there might well be loss of power and a feeling of an
impact. And this might be eliminated or reduced with the linked action.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
fssturm at unm.edu
http://www.createculture.org/profile/FredSturm