[CAUT] Baldwin D bridge

Edward Sambell esambell at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 17 17:04:08 MST 2010

Fred, I am sure you are absolutely correct when you say the makers must have
believed in the designs of their actions. I feel that there were many ideas
which never really came to fruition before they were supplanted by newer ones,
and I think that some could be revisited. If, as was often the case, they were
too costly to sustain, or the materials they were made of were scarce, modern
production methods and synthetic materials might offset this, and further
development might be possible too. Of course, I don't expect it to ever happen!
Though there is WNG. who prove the point.

As for more on the early pianos, it is interesting to speculate on the repair
techniques of  years ago, some of which have faded into history. For instance,
in most of these instruments, only the hammers had centerpins, almost always a
long wire clamped between two continuous brass flange rails.. The flanges and
levers were pointed and joined by a vellum hinge inserted into a fine saw kerf
in each part. Vellum and parchment are more or less interchangeable terms,
vellum being the preferred term for the best quality. The vellum would last for
decades, then suddenly break. How would one repair this? We did know, but I will
let everyone see if they can propound solutions, then I will tell. The methods
are probably still alive in the museums.
To come back to the Erards, the hammershanks of the earliest pianos were not
glued into holes in the hammer heads. On one end of the shank were instead two
prongs which fitted into grooves on both sides of the hammer moldings. This was
fine, as the straight stringing only required hammer bores to be zero degrees
throughout. The prongs were long enough  to leave an opening for the check  wire
to protrude. This latter impinged on a piece of leather on the front ot the
molding.and was fastened in the wippen lever so that it moved toward the hammer
when played. We referred to this type of hammer shank as double forked shanks,
as the other end had the usual prongs which held the bushings. My customer's
piano, on the other hand was essentially modern and overstrung. so the
hammershanks were made with a round end ,but still had a rectangular opening for
the check wire.The owner, an engineer originally from Australia, had lived in
England for a while, and someone had done a very nice job of refelting the
hammers. This is a service now performed only by Abel in Germany, to the best of
my knowledge. Ironically, they use an original Alfred Dolge hammer press
exclusively for such work, which they scouted the USA for, as their regular
hammer presses could not work  for this job. Incidentally, there is a Dolge
press in Montreal. A nice picture of it is in Andre Orebeek's book, 'The Voice
if the Piano' and one is also in Dolges' 'Pianos and their Makers'. There was,
and perhaps still is, one outside of the Ronson hammers establishment, rusting
into oblivion. It had come from D. M/ Best, a Toronto piano supply company, now
defunct. I remember when they had sixteen of them, and scrapped most of them,
retaining only two, which they fitted with heating coils so that the hammers
could be removed after fifteen minutes. Before World War ll this company had
made excellent hammers with Weickert felt. The newer hammers were very poor.
There was a real opportunity missed for somebody to set up a hammer recovering
service. I was unaware of when this all accured, or would have tried to acquire
one of the presses.

Ted Sambell