[CAUT] Montal (was Re: Baldwin D bridge)

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Wed Nov 17 18:43:33 MST 2010

On Nov 17, 2010, at 5:04 PM, Edward Sambell wrote:

> The vellum would last for decades, then suddenly break. How would
> one repair this? We did know, but I will let everyone see if they
> can propound solutions, then I will tell. The methods are probably
> still alive in the museums.

And in old repair manuals. I'm not sure what has survived in that way
from the second half of the 19th century, but there is an account of
vellum replacement in Claude Montal's book from 1836. As I have
mentioned in earlier posts, I am engaged in translating that book, and
the end is very close - five pages left out of 245, for a first draft
translation. End of this week probably. Then I'll go through again and
do a more refined translation.
	He has a fairly long chapter on repairs, and a long ending section on
the history of the piano. He writes of Sébastian Erard's double
escapement as something invented five years ago, that may well prove
to be the inventor's masterpiece, if the kinks can be worked out. Also
about Pleyel's experiment cross-veneering a spruce soundboard with
mahogany veneer, which he finds improves the tone (and another maker
gluing panels with two layers of spruce, cross grained). Pape's
attempts to make a successful downward striking action. Fine tuning
inventions involving a pressure screw. Fascinating stuff - well, for
me anyway.
	I'd like to make this translation available in some way. I'll make
some efforts in the way of having it published, whether hard copy or e-
book - though I don't really have time to do a lot in that direction
-  and if nothing else will simply post files somewhere. But
meanwhile, if anyone would like files of the draft translation,
contact me off list and I'll send them along. I have separate Word
files for each chapter or section, and there are 22 in all at 1.2 Mb
total.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
fssturm at unm.edu