[CAUT] Chopstick tool needles?

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Thu Nov 18 19:20:12 MST 2010

On 11/18/2010 5:51 PM, Ed Sutton wrote:
> (Vodka if you prefer, but rubbing alcohol is cheaper.)

Well, I say "vodka", but really it's Clear Spring 190 proof bulk
ethanol, mixed half and half with tap water, and put into a little
plastic squeeze bottle. A little goes a long way --- and should. Dip a
hammer in or deeply soak the shoulders and you might as well toss the
hammer. The plastic squeeze bottle holds about two ounces, and that will
last me months the way I use it. Of course not every piano asks for even
light alcohol voicing, by any means.

Rubbing alcohol (Isopropyl) is cheaper, but the amount used is so tiny I
see no reason not to go with something I could drink (but don't) without
harm. I think it's been about three years since I bought a fifth of the
190 proof, and some of it I used (straight from the bottle, and get the
cap back on fast to avoid water contamination) to make shellac. I'm
about ready to buy another fifth. One can use it to make home-grown
herbal tinctures as well, recycling the dropper bottles of the
store-bought tinctures.

Susan Kline