[CAUT] Teflon Bushings

Horace Greeley hgreeley at sonic.net
Sun Nov 28 20:39:55 MST 2010

Hi, Roger,

At 08:53 PM 11/26/2010, you wrote:

>Hi Jon,
>               Having done quite a few Teflon bushings with CA. I
> think the result is superior to felt. Way more durable, and consistent.

Agreed.

>I was a great idea that had under developed engineering. The problem
>could have been solved for commercial production quite easily, but
>there was no will to do so.
>That is a personal quote from Joe Pramberger.

The other problem, of course, is that in addition to lacking the
resolve to really make the product commercially viable, it also
failed in two other critical areas.  The first was that, when
problems arose with the system, the problems were denied.  ("A
Rolls-Royce has never had a broken axle.")  Perhaps more importantly,
the solid-bushed Teflon action was a number of years into production
before any procedures for servicing it was available, let alone tools
with which to perform the service.  It wasn't until things were
largely at crisis level that Freddie Drasche started teaching his
home-grown technique of rolling brass center pins between two files....

Too bad...still an excellent concept...once fully worked through,
it's very stable and will last a long time.

Best.

Horace