[CAUT] Teflon Bushings

Horace Greeley hgreeley at sonic.net
Sun Nov 28 23:38:02 MST 2010

Hi, Del,

At 08:54 PM 11/28/2010, you wrote:
>And those repair procedures were completely wrong for the material.

Yup...as was acknowledged at the time, by Freddie, and others.

>Yet this
>technique continued to be taught for several years after it was known and
>demonstrated to be inadequate.

This is correct, as far as it goes.

>Workable techniques did not come into being until they -- along with the
>appropriate tools -- were developed independently by piano technicians. Once
>we had the appropriate tools and had figured out how to service the things
>these actions became increasingly reliable and the benefits of synthetic
>bushings began to be realized. Of course, by then the damage was done and
>another fundamentally good idea had bitten the dust.

I respectfully disagree.

The correct tools were always available within the factory.  The
problem, as with so many other things, is that getting both them and
the proper techniques out to the field was the subject of a long and
bitter internal fight.  On the one hand, there were people like
Freddie who were trying to do _something_ (knowing that it was not
the "right" thing).  On the other, were many in management who took
the position that things were perfect, and that field technicians
were the problem.

On my shop wall, I used to have a copy of a letter sent to a
regionally well-known school from Vince Orlando, who was at the time
a V.P. at Steinway.  The subject of the letter was the condition and
servicing of a 1968 D.  The (paraphrased) content of the letter was
to the effect that the piano had been perfect when it left the
factory, and that, if there were any problems, they had obviously
been caused by the incompetence of the local technician.  Although I
was not the technician in question, I was familiar with both the
instrument and the venue and can relate that the action had
effectively locked up within weeks of delivery; and that nothing had
been done to it.  Eventually, some degree of restorative warranty
work was performed, but only after some very serious sabre-rattling
on both sides.

It was not until a fair number of these situations arose that Freddie
simply took it on himself to try to do something.  Sadly, many more
such situations developed before the company realized that they had
to make available the tools and instruction on how to use
them.  While there undoubtedly were independent technicians who came
up with this, too, I am not sure that it is possible to make a
sustainable case that the solution was developed independently by
them.  I still have, someplace, a factory kit that dates from
sufficiently early in the timeline that it only has cut-outs for the
smaller, non-ribbed bushings...which places it before 1965, by which
time the larger bushings were starting to be seen in production.

All of this is, of course, less than the proverbial tempest in a
teapot.  Between introducing a product/process that clearly was not
ready for prime time, refusing to provide proper tools and parts,
numerous "catastrophic" failures, and, I'm sorry to say, continuing
unproductive commentary from sales personnel and technicians, what
could have been a revolutionary improvement in piano actions has been
swept into the dust-bin of piano history.  Hopefully, the advent of
the reintroduction of this kind of engineering and thinking through
the new action parts from W, N, & G has come at a time when people
are more receptive to this kind of radical departure from tradition.

As always, best regards.

Horace