[CAUT] Teflon Bushings

Delwin D Fandrich del at fandrichpiano.com
Mon Nov 29 08:29:14 MST 2010

If the proper tools existed in the factory they were cleverly hidden during
my week-long visit to the factory where we spent quite a lot of time on just
this problem. No one had a clue about what to do when the bushings started
to click. The best that could be offered were the traditional methods of
sizing the hole in the bushing and repining. It was technicians who started
looking into the characteristics of Teflon and eventually came up with
reamers that actually worked. I bought mine--on the advice of a technician
whose name escapes me--from Johnson Carbide. Johnson Carbide developed them
after working with piano technicians with, to my knowledge, no input or help
from the Steinway factory. Ultimately, if memory serves, Steinway began to
offer these same reamers but that is not where they originated.

Ddf

PS  I still have quite a few Teflon bushings of various sizes along with an
assortment of pins. If anyone needs any of these for servicing some of these
(now) old pianos, contact me.

Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Design & Fabrication
620 South Tower Avenue