[CAUT] Teflon bushings

McCoy, Alan amccoy at ewu.edu
Mon Nov 29 13:37:04 MST 2010

Hi Horace,

Actually it is this very thing that pointed out the problem to me. What I mean is that in taking downweight measurements of a teflon action I noticed that you would put the weight on the key and it wouldn't move. Until, that is, you put the next gram up, and whoosh, down goes the key almost frictionless once the initial inertia is over come. It led me to speculate that a pianist might have difficulty controlling the action, especially in certain types of passages or transitions of tempo or....

What would be most useful, and which you were wondering, are experiments measuring just the pianistic differences. One action "perfectly" regulated with teflon hammer flanges. Several pianists give it extensive play, being recorded. Change out the shanks with wool bushed flanges but all else remaining the same (including hammers so obviously there would be a time delay between). The same pianists give more extensive play on these parts, again being recorded (visually as well to record all facial expressions and hand work). Pianists are not told anything about the piano.

Would there be a consensus preference? Would there be a measureable tonal difference? Perceived or measureable difference in speed,  predictability, consistency, or power? Did the teflon era close because technicians weren't able to deal with the bushings effectively, or because pianists weren't able to control the beasts, or were able to but disliked the extra hurdle posed by the parts?

Alan