[CAUT] Teflon bushings

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Mon Nov 29 14:32:48 MST 2010

On Nov 29, 2010, at 1:37 PM, McCoy, Alan wrote:

> Would there be a consensus preference? Would there be a measureable
> tonal difference? Perceived or measureable difference in speed,
> predictability, consistency, or power? Did the teflon era close
> because technicians weren’t able to deal with the bushings
> effectively, or because pianists weren’t able to control the beasts,
> or were able to but disliked the extra hurdle posed by the parts?
>
> Alan

	With respect to "touch" (perception of the feeling of resistance at
the key), I doubt it is significant. I guess you are saying there is
more of a "spongy" area with felt bushings, where one additional gram
will mean the key starts to go down sluggishly, and it might take
three grams to get the same response as you get with one additional
gram in the teflon action. It seems to me that there is so much
potential for variance in all the other friction points, especially
key bushings to pins and knuckle to jack/rep, that breaking loose the
hammer flange suddenly as opposed to gradually (within 2 - 3 grams)
would simply not register.
	Tonal differences there may well be, though. Consistency and
predictability are certainly more easily achievable, at least
theoretically: machining teflon can be done more precisely than
packing felt, as the felt is not going to be as consistent a material.
	I'd say the reason teflon failed from the standpoint of public
acceptance was pretty simple: catastrophic action failure (seizing
up); clicking noises everywhere; technicians who didn't have a clue
what to do; lots of sharing of experiences on a rumor level. I have
found it interesting that a customer of mine has found it very
difficult to get offers for a teflon II  (the large bushings with
ribs) M simply because of the bad press. There is nothing whatsoever
wrong with the function of the piano, and in over fifteen years of
servicing it not a single problem arose. But the public "knows" that
teflon is bad.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
fssturm at unm.edu