[CAUT] Yamaha Avant Grand Digital questions

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Fri Oct 1 08:57:52 MDT 2010

I have moving 6' moving boards and dollies already.  It's the shortness of
the Avant and only 2' of it lies flat on the board that is the problem.

From:
"Brad Smith, RPT" <pianotech at smithpiano.com>
To:
caut at ptg.org
Date:
10/01/2010 08:22 AM
Re: [CAUT] Yamaha Avant Grand Digital questions

 HI Paul and All,

If you haven't already seen.....
check out http://www.premiermovingequipment.com

I have three dollies from them, including the grand chariot.
http://www.premiermovingequipment.com/product_info.php?cPath=0_24&products_id=37

You might get either the grand chariot, or the universal dolly:
http://www.premiermovingequipment.com/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=33

That gives you the security of 'straight-wheel' dolly, but the wheels can
also be in 'universal mode.  Or use one pair of the wheels in straight
mode, and the other in universal.

I would build a platform onto it so that the movers can tip it over onto
the dolly safely.
Just a 3/4" plywood base long enough to suit your need, and with dense
padding, like the kind used for a camper's mat under a sleeping bag.
Cover that padding with tough material, and staple it under the plywood
base.

Then I would use pads to cover the piano, and get at least 3 ratchet
straps to secure the piano to the dolly in the vertical position.

The grand chariot would solve this with the least amount of work on your
part.
The best thing is to strap the whole package into one safe unit.
I have moved hundreds of grand pianos this way by myself, and actually
prefer it to the herd of goons method.

DISCLAIMER....I have no connection to Premier Piano Moving equipment, just
a #1 fan.
Their stuff is bullet proof and worth it.

Brad Smith, RPT
www.SmithPiano.com