[CAUT] Bridge root material

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Fri Oct 1 21:38:43 MDT 2010

On 10/1/2010 8:20 PM, William Monroe wrote:
> Keith,
>
> It looks nothing like Oak to me.  How about European Beech?  Common
> ingredient in pianos, and the grain lines look "identical" to North
> American Beech.

Beech was my first impression too, which puts it in the rather broad
ballpark of viable bridge stock. Anything reasonably hard and stiff is
reasonably as good as anything else reasonably hard and stiff,
contingent on design dimensions and the panel assembly it's sitting on.
As long as the material isn't soft and mush like enough to absorb string
input without moving, it can be nominally accommodated. What I see in
the photos doesn't need any particular accommodation. Looks like good
stuph to me.
Ron N