[CAUT] Creepy Creak

Edward Sambell esambell at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 2 09:34:17 MDT 2010

These anecdotal experiences are valuable to us, so thank you. I had one recently
too. I was tuning for Anton Kuerti, the piano was an unfamiliar Steinway D, in
excellent shape. He arrived to rehearse, so I left and returned when he was
through. I had checked everything ,including the pedals, and he told me there
was a loud knock in the damper pedal. Indeed there was, but only if stamped on.
He doubted that it could be fixed as it was now close to the doors being opened.
I withdrew the action, and by pure luck tried the screws in the pivot blocks for
the damper tray. Both needed half a turn.After the concert I saw him and asked
him if he noticed the pedal was OK. He said "Yes, and I'm not surprised" (I know
him well). The lesson is not to just work the pedals, but to treat them
vigorously

Ted Sambell