[CAUT] Bridge root material

Delwin D Fandrich del at fandrichpiano.com
Fri Oct 1 19:44:46 MDT 2010

In the case of this piano-from the description it sounds pretty much like a
spinet or a console, right?-and the bridge material under discussion-maple
vs. oak (or whatever similar wood it might be)-I guess I'd like to see the
perceived differences in materials demonstrated. I've tested a lot of
different bridge configurations (though I must admit, all were of maple) in
pianos of the same make and model and so far have not been able to measure
or hear any discernable acoustical differences that could be attributed to
the variations in the bridges.

Now, if we were comparing bridges made of maple or oak vs. bridges made of
Select Hardwood (i.e., Luan or pink meranti or some such) I would expect
there to be noticeable differences in tone performance. Here, of course,
we'd be dealing with significant differences in both density and stiffness.

It should also be noted that the piano designer/builder has at his or her
disposal several different ways to compensate for any perceived acoustical
anomalies that might show up as a result of even significant variations in
the species of wood chosen for a component such as a bridge. Both bridge
height and width-hence bridge stiffness and mass-can easily be varied if the
builder deems it necessary. There is a large difference in tone performance
that can be attributed to bridge height, for example. Ditto bridge width.
Both are easily defined and easily heard.

Given all of the potential variables I'd be hard pressed to label either oak
or maple as either a "better" or "worse" choice. And that is after we've
actually defined "better" and "worse." Theoretically there may be some
acoustical difference in performance that might be attributed to the choice
between oak and maple as a bridge material but, with all other parameters
tightly held, I think one would be hard pressed to actually describe it or
measure it. I suspect you'll find more variations among different samples of
the same wood species given the variations of both stiffness and density
common to natural materials such as wood.

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich

Piano Design & Fabrication

620 South Tower Avenue