[CAUT] Bridge root material

Delwin D Fandrich del at fandrichpiano.com
Fri Oct 1 16:11:51 MDT 2010

OK. Let me rephrase that:

Seriously, given the number of strings found in the piano and considering
the mass of these strings and their tensions along with the force with which
they bear down against the bridges and, hence, the soundboard, along with
the relatively high mass and stiffness of the soundboard/bridge and ribs
system I can't see it mattering all that much. Both woods have about the
same mass, stiffness and internal resistance and in a piano-as compared with
other stringed musical instruments such as the violin or the guitar-with the
relative high stresses and energy levels involved not much else seems to
matter.

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich

Piano Design & Fabrication