[CAUT] N3 Avant Grand

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Wed Oct 6 14:40:05 MDT 2010

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the picture.  I'm in the middle of constructing the same basic
thing out of plywood with a cushion or piano blanket type material to
protect the piano finish.  I'm not sure how a piece of cardboard would
secure it when moving it on bumpy surfaces though.  That's what we have as
it will occasionally move outside to our concert hall or the Jazz in June
series the art gallery holds every year. I might have mentioned before,
but once outside our music building, there is a slight (2") drop to the
regular sidewalk....(poor construction or sidewalk settling over the many
years...or whatever). When we moved it out of the building, the piano
nearly fell forward and scared the heck out of us!  Good thing 3 of us
were moving it!

It is a nice instrument. Please don't get me wrong.  We'll see how it
performs next week for the "Firebird" concerto in which it will be a
"harp" with the midi helping out.

Hopefully, once in our new Digital Arts Professor's studio, it will only
get moved once or twice a year.  Perhaps, further, other profs will forget
we have it and it will continue to be used daily in Dr. Lee's office and
never move again! :>)  I see a lot of positive things he will be able to
do with it!! :>) Although it has a harpsichord option, it will still be
easier to move a harpsichord to the orch pit than this.

Here's the work in progress.  The extended end of it will be to make the
ability to strap it to the normal 6' grand moving board. I don't have room
to make yet another board.

Best, and thanks again for the help.

Paul