[CAUT] Harpsichord popping strings

David Doremus algiers_piano at bellsouth.net
Mon Oct 11 15:43:24 MDT 2010

  I have seen this exact situation more than once, unfortunately. I'd
also be curious to know if the strings are breaking at problem areas,
like the top of the 4' or the break between iron and brass. Sometimes in
building the scale varies just enough to cause problems and you might
need to change wire, high notes sometimes need high tensile instead of
low, sometimes you can't go quite as high with the brass, or maybe using
phosphor bronze or extending a wire size further down might make all the
difference. I notice that the string list from Conrad asks for Rose
iron, it might be worth trying the Zuckermann iron instead. The Tyre may
be quite a bit more historical than the others and strung in 'weaker'
wire to begin with. Just a few thoughts...

--Dave