[CAUT] To buy New or Rebuilt?

Dennis Johnson johnsond at stolaf.edu
Tue Oct 12 10:05:39 MDT 2010

Hi Cy-

Thanks, and good point of course. I think the faculty were hoping I could
find some concrete examples of old, rebuilt pianos in a similar heavy use
environment as new Japanese or Steinway pianos.  If there is such an example
it would be interesting, 20 years down the road, but I agree with you.
Nothing against the new inventory, but one should not presume they will
outlast in every case.  Neither are the rebuilds necessarily a cost savings.
  Personally I think we have good plan in the mix for about 1/3 of each.
See what happens when the time comes.

This semester we just enrolled the largest new class in the history of the
college.  Sounds like others are doing the same.

best,

Dennis Johnson
St. Olaf College
_________