[CAUT] To buy New or Rebuilt?

Ed Foote a440a at aol.com
Tue Oct 12 10:56:34 MDT 2010

Dennis writes:
>>I think the faculty were hoping I could find some concrete examples of old, rebuilt pianos in a similar heavy use environment as new Japanese or Steinway pianos.  If there is such an example it would be interesting, 20 years down the road, but I agree with you.  Nothing against the new inventory, but one should not presume they will outlast in every case.  <<

 I rebuilt 18 Steinways for the Blair school of music in the early 1980's.  We are still using them as the primary pianos in faculty studios, with the new ones we bought in 2001 relegated to student use.  It is just beginning to arrive at the time to rebuild some actions.
     Rebuilding, if done properly, will allow these pianos to play almost forever, and it is much less expensive than buying new ones when the old ones are worn out. What is needed is a rebuilder with a good understanding of how to do it in a durable way.
regards,
Ed Foote rpt