[CAUT] Harpsichord popping strings

Conrad Hoffsommer choffsommer at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 12 12:10:28 MDT 2010

The first thing that strikes my eye are the "historical" tuning pins. I can't see where a maker who goes to this degree of "authenticity" (what Bill Dowd in his day used to call "hysterical accuracy") is going to scale the instrument to live at A=440... Or am I accusing harpsichord builders of an unrealistic degree of consistency? Hmmmm....

Israel Stein

The Zuckermann's I worked on @ Luther had those tapered/no becket hole pins.  Not a real problem once you get used to them, and a heck of a lot easier to restring and make it look nice.  I've restrung the ones with holes (Burton/Jones-Clayton, etc.) and considered THEM as a PIA.

Conrad