[CAUT] How much voicing on new NY hammers

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Wed Oct 13 16:54:54 MDT 2010

On Oct 13, 2010, at 3:17 PM, Paul T Williams wrote:

> Hi all
>
> Quick question;  how much voicing is typically needed on the new NY
> hammers for our D?  I have a very small window to put a set on our D
> in the main hall.  They're pre-hung and I have them here in the
> shop.  The project starts tomorrow.
>
> Thanks
> Paul

	I installed a set on a D a year ago, and was actually able to get by
with just una corda voicing for the time being. It did need juicing in
the top 2-3 octaves, but not urgently.
	I hung my own. I have found the pre-hung need a LOT of travel and
shank burning, too much to suit me, the three times I tried that
route. The flanges were papered, so supposedly they were pre-traveled,
I guess. It would have been quicker to start by removing all that
paper. I removed more than I added. And I had to twist the shanks much
more than I ever like to, especially the bass and tenor, which were
leaning several degrees (not very consistently - in sections of
several).
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico